The "Ghost of Sexist Ads Past" has come and gone. Now, it's time for the "Ghost of Sexist Ads Present" to pay a visit. And unlike the ones that haunted PR Junkie last week--those would be the 10 most sexist ads of yesteryear--this new collection puts guys on the chopping block.
Wish I could say it gets better guys, but apparently not.
Although they're not as outwardly sexist as the feminist offenders of yesteryear, today's ads do paint a sad male-bashing picture that it's still OK for men to play either a source of mindless tomfoolery or submit to being a sex object.
It looks as though we're mere pieces of meat, men -- and somehow, I think we'll be OK with that. And with the chauvinist playing-field leveling out, just how will the "Ghost of Sexist Ads Future" look when it shows up? I hope like a young Meg Ryan.
1. At least give us the courtesy of four, possibly five minutes.
2. And we wonder why chivalry is dead--blame this little girl.
3. Hair loss insensitivity is a touchy subject for me--you'd have to meet my dad to understand.
4. And I bet she didn't even tip.
5. There's nothing light-hearted about domestic violence--unless of course it involves beer and your hostile (ex)girlfriend.
6. I imagine Jessie Spano (of "Saved By The Bell") probably wrote this ad. Oink, oink, baby.
7. I happen to find the aromatics of a persimmon's paradise quite the olfactory pleaser--very sensual, very epicurean.
8. This commercial just plain sucks. (Get it, 'cause it's for a vacuum.)
9. Way to make me feel like an a**.
10. Nothing sexist about this ad--I just really enjoy that Target lady.